As the Commonwealth Games gets underway on Monday, the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) says it is not worried about the make up of Team South Africaâ€™s track and field contingent.
The sporting bodyâ€™s CEO Tubby Reddy says there is no need for criticism after top athletes Caster Semenya, Khotso Mokoena and Mbulaeni Mulaudzi pulled out of the games in Delhi.
â€œOur team is our team based on our selection policy; those are the people that have qualified. All of them are here on merit,â€ says Reddy.
He says the atmosphere at the games is now far more positive after Sunday nightâ€™s flawless opening ceremony.
Meanwhile, the event, which is already under fire over security concerns, construction issues and living conditions, has also been hit by the confirmation that an official who had been living at the athletesâ€™ village has been diagnosed with dengue fever.
It is understood the man could be discharged by Monday evening but the news has sparked fresh health fears at the competition.