Nigeria News

NIGERIA: 58 dead, 139 injured in triple blasts

At least 58 people have been confirmed dead after three separate explosions went off in Maiduguri, Borno State today, March 7.

139 people are also said to have been injured in the blasts, the first of which occurred at about 11:20 am near the motor park of the Baga fish market.

The first attack was carried out by a female suicide bomber who had just gotten out of a tricycle.

The next bombing took place at about 12.30pm at the Monday Market, while the third occurred at Borno Express Park at about 12.52pm.

“Today, Saturday, explosions through Improvised Explosive Devices occurred at three locations in Maiduguri,” State Commissioner of Police, Clement Adoda told the News Agency of Nigeria.

“So far, reports from the three locations indicate that 58 people died while 139 persons were injured,” he added.

Adoda however said that normalcy had returned to the area.

Boko Haram, which is being blamed for the attack, has, in recent times, resorted to the use of young women as suicide bombers and it is feared that some of these women are being forced to carry out atrocities on the group’s behalf.

Leave a Reply