Nigeria News

Boko Haram: Baga Military Commanders May Face Court-Martial

 The Nigerian military has given a strong hint that the Commanders, officers and soldiers responsible for Baga debacle, where newly acquired sophisticated weapons were abandoned to advancing Boko Haram terrorists who took over and ransacked the town early this month.

This hint was given on Friday in a statement signed by the Director of Defence Information (DDI), Maj-Gen. Chris Olukolade, saying that the affected personnel who are part of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) must account for the seeming lack of commitment and professionalism.

Following the loss of Baga, THISDAY reported that the DHQ was disappointed at what they saw as a calculated attempt by some elements within the military to sabotage the operation in the North East.

Accordingly, they set up a probe panel to ascertain the fall of the strategic town, barely two days after delivery of new weapons to the units.
Consequently, Olukolade has confirmed that the "Nigerian officers in key command positions of the MJTF are in the process of accounting for their actions leading to the loss of weapons, men  and location in their area of responsibility in the mission area.

"This is a normal military procedure in major operations or after encounters. The essence is to extract and collate relevant information for subsequent missions."

According to him, the probe “could also lead to or determine appropriate disciplinary action where necessary".

In a related development, the Defence spokesman said that  an extensive mopping up operation to search for arms or stranded terrorists and other casualties was ongoing in Michika, Adamawa State, after troops sacked the terrorists that had been operating in the town and its environ.

He said that the assault on terrorists’ main positions reported by THISDAY, was concluded on Thursday as many of them died in the combat.
Olukolade also revealed that troops who sustained injuries in the operation were receiving necessary medical attention.

He said that other troops are continuing the pursuit of those who are on the run from the town, adding that normalcy had been restored in the town.

Leave a Reply