Nigeria News

Election Violence: Northern Group Reports Buhari to US

 A group of northern pro-democracy activists under the aegis of the  Northern Coalition for Democracy and Justice (NCDJ), has reported the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress(APC), General Muhammadu Buhari, to the government of the United States of America (USA), asking it to facilitate his prosecution for his role in the post-election violence of 2011.

The group, in a letter to the United States Secretary of States, Senator John Kerry, which was also copied to the US Ambassador to Nigeria, stated that the assistance of the US has become imperative in order to help Nigeria stem the tide of election violence in the 2015 election.

In the letter dated January 25 and titled: ‘The role of General Muhammadu Buhari in the 2011 post-election violence in Nigeria,’  which was signed by Dr. Ibrahim Baba , Secretary Research and Documentation, Mr. Yunana Shubkau, Publicity Secretary and Umar Farouk, Secretary General, the NCDJ said it had dragged General Buhari to the International Criminal Court but needed the backing of the US to have Buhari repatriated to the court.

The letter read in part: “Conducts of political actors particularly statements credited to Buhari and others in the year 2012, 2013 and 2014 during the build up to the 2015 elections is in the context of politically motivated sectarian violence. And a threat to the conduct of peaceful, free, fair and transparent elections in Nigeria.

“Therefore as an integral part of the international community, the US has an unambiguous obligation to facilitate the prosecution of individuals responsible for the 2011 post-election violence recorded in Nigeria and to checkmate reoccurrence of the same dastardly act in 2015 during the general elections in Nigeria.

“NCDJ instituted legal action for human rights violation against Buhari before the ICC at the Hague. It is in view of the ample video, audio and documented evidence to support a prosecution against him at our disposal that we urge the United States Government to facilitate his hand over to the International Criminal Court as there is incontrovertible evidence against him which supercedes that of Bagbo of Ivory Coast and Uhuru Kenyata of Kenya

“As vanguards of accountability in our dear country, we shall continue to conscientise and mobilise the citizenry to resist all forms of intolerance in Nigeria.”

Last week, the group’s prosecutor, Goran Sluiter, a human rights lawyer leading the prosecution of  Buhari at the Hague said in a press conference in Abuja that the group was poised to prosecute Buhari.

It was also confirmed that Buhari has cancelled his planned trip to the US.
It was reported that the US-based Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), which invited the general to the US, had cancelled the programme.
The report indicated that Buhari cancelled the trip based on changing schedules.
Investigations however revealed that the cancellation of the trip might not be unconnected with indications that the US might act upon the petition by the NCDJ.

It was also gathered that the Buhari camp believes that Buhari was being bogged down by persistent complains about his alleged Human rights violation, as well as issues revolving around his certificate.

Sources in Abuja confirmed that Buhari has become wary of the barrage of questions that would confront him in the US over his role in the 2011 violence and the issue of his certificate saga.

Leave a Reply