Nigeria News

NBS: Nigerian Economy Generated 349,343 Jobs in Third Quarter of 2014

The Nigerian economy added a total of 349,343 jobs in the third quarter of 2014 (Q3 2014), the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said on Thursday.

According to the latest job creation figures released by the NBS, the third quarter results showed a steady improvement in the total number of jobs added to the economy when compared to 240,871 and 259,353 jobs created in Q1 and Q2 2014 respectively.

In respect of job distribution, the informal sector of the economy accounted for 198,144 jobs or 56.72 per cent of total employment generated in the period under review while the formal sector generated 145,464 jobs or 41.64 per cent of the total share.

The public sector accounted for 5,735 jobs or 1.64 per cent of total jobs created in Q3 2014.
The figures further indicated growth of public sector of 923 jobs or 19.18 per cent compared to the 4,812 jobs recorded in the preceding quarter, while that of formal employment translated to 78,755 new formal jobs created in Q2, translating to a rise of 66,710 jobs or 84.71 per cent as well as an increase of 22,358 jobs or 12.72 per cent in the informal sector when compared to second quarter estimates.

The employment statistics further revealed a total of 592,452 employees in federal and state ministries and parastatals in Q3, compared to 1,180,116 employees in Q2, representing a decrease of 99.19 per cent or 587,664 employees in the third quarter 2014.

The report stated: “Disaggregated by gender, Nigerian males recorded 65.03 per cent of employees, whilst Nigerian females constituted 34.9 per cent.

"By staff cadre, officers excluding management staff in the public sector had the highest number of employees for both males and females in Q3, with 146,003 and 92,312 employees respectively, while the cadre for Permanent Secretaries/DGs/Executive Secretaries had the least number of both male and female employees, with 1,356 and 299 employees respectively.”

It added that a total number of 392,317 employees were recorded in the local government areas in the third quarter compared to 155,620 employees in second quarter of 2014, indicating an increase of 150.10 per cent or 236,697 employees.

“The cadre of officers excluding management staff of LGAs has the highest number of employees for both males and females in the third quarter of 2014, with 94,474 and 43,763 employees respectively. The clerical and related office workers LGA cadre is the second greatest, with 78,600 personnel.

"On the whole, in Q3, males accounted for 71.37 per cent of total employment, whilst females held the remaining 28.63 per cent. There was no employment at the LGA level for non-Nigerians both male and female in the third quarter 2014," the NBS said.

Notwithstanding, unoccupied jobs totalling 70,398 existed in the public sector.
The NBS said: “The public sector employment gap, defined as the number of unoccupied jobs, shows a total gap of 70,398 jobs in the public sector in the 3rd quarter 2014. Of this, 65,655 jobs or 93.33 per cent of the total are for full time jobs, whilst the remaining 4,743 jobs or 6.74 per cent of the employment gap total is for those whom are part time.

“By occupational group, the occupation with the greatest employment gap is other teaching professionals, with 16,977 unfilled jobs or 24.12 per cent of the total. This is followed by secondary education teachers with 11,262 jobs or 16.00 per cent of the total gap and physical and engineering science technicians, with 6,694 jobs or 9.51 per cent of the total employment gap.”

Leave a Reply