Nigeria News

Mother, three children die after eating yam flour meal

FOUR out of a family of  nine including a mother and her three children reportedly died after the consumption of a yam flour for lunch in Isua-Akoko area of Ondo state.

The father of the family Mr Abiloye Folorunso and other children were however saved by providence as the effect of the poison was not much in their system and was immediately flushed out in the hospital.

It was gathered that the yam flour was purchased from Isua Market that ill fated morning and was prepared as their lunch before death came calling.

Speaking with newsmen, the Information Officer of the Akoko South East Local Government, Mr. Akin Meroyi said the incident occurred at  Ward 7 in the town.

Also speaking on the incident, another  family member, Hon. Adesina Ayodeji noted that the flour was bought from Isua Market by the deceased mother on that same day the incident occurred.

Ayodeji told newsmen that shortly after taking the yam flour, all the nine members who ate of it became unconscious.

According to him, they were immediately rushed to the Local Government Health Centre by neighbours where first aid was administered to them.

In the process of reviving them, one of the family members reportedly died at the Health Centre.

Disturbed by the situation as they could not be revived, they were taken  to the  State Specialist Hospital, Ikare-Akoko.

Some of the family  members still unconscious  were hurriedly taken to a private hospital in Ikare Akoko where another member died again.

Their neighbours who were trying to salvage the situation took some of the unconscious members to the Federal  Medical Centre[FMC], Owo where they were diagnosed to have eaten poison.

The effect of the poison according to investigation was much in their body system and has affected their intestines and kidney following renal diagnosis by medical experts.

Family members later decided that spiritual solution should be sought following the report from the hospital.

The  victims were reportedly transferred  to a church in Isua –Akoko where the mother and another child died.

Reacting to the development in his council area, the Chairman of Akoko South East  Local Government, Hon Olusola  Agbi who condoled the family described the incident as unfortunate and sad.

The five other family members have been revived at the specialist hospital in Ikare-Akoko and are still on admission.

Anthony-Claret Onwutalobi
Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC and CEO of Portia Web Solutions. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websits. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.

Leave a Reply